Berliner Kranz Cookies Recipe
These wreath-shaped cookies make a great Christmas gift and a pretty presentation on a buffet table. So get ready for the compliments. My mother handed down the recipe to me.—Edie DeSpain, Logan, UT
- 4 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 uncooked egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Red and green sugar
- Red-hot candies
- 1. Cut hard-boiled eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks; discard whites or save for another use. Press yolks through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the uncooked egg yolks, hard-boiled egg yolks and extract. Combine flour and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with cream, beating well after each addition. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Reroll scraps if desired.
- 4. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; brush with egg white. Sprinkle as desired with colored sugar. Bake at 350° for 6 minutes; carefully decorate as desired with candies. Bake 4-8 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 103 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Berliner Kranz Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC