Benne Candy Recipe
I love anything that has sesame seeds. This hard candy is a cinch to make with the inexpensive, pre-toasted seeds sold at Asian grocery stores. Plus, you'll need only four other ingredients.—Lily Julow, Lawrenceville, Georgia
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1. Grease a baking sheet with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, milk, vinegar and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in sesame seeds.
- 2. Immediately pour onto prepared pan; spread into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Using a sharp knife, score warm candy into 1-1/2-in. squares (do not cut through). Cool completely; break into pieces along scored lines. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
1 piece: 61 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Benne Candy
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC