I love anything that has sesame seeds. This hard candy is a cinch to make with the inexpensive, pre-toasted seeds sold at Asian grocery stores. Plus, you'll need only four other ingredients.—Lillian K. Julow, Gainesville, Florida
48 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- Grease a baking sheet with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a small
- heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, milk, vinegar and remaining
- butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer
- reads 280° (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in
- sesame seeds.
- Immediately pour onto prepared pan; spread into a 12-in. x 9-in.
- rectangle. Using a sharp knife, score warm candy into 1-1/2-in.
- squares (do not cut through). Cool completely; break into pieces
- along scored lines. Store in an airtight container.
- Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 61 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.