Benedict Eggs in Pastry Recipe
Here's a new twist on an old favorite. Inside these puffy golden bundles is an omelet-like filling of eggs, ham and lemony hollandaise sauce. —Catherine Slussler, Tomball, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Minced fresh tarragon, optional
- 1. In a double boiler over simmering water or a small heavy saucepan, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard until mixture begins to thicken and reaches 160°.
- 2. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in cayenne. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- 3. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ham and onions in butter until onions are tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until set. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup reserved hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a 12-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle; cut each in half widthwise. Place 1 cup egg mixture on half of each rectangle; sprinkle with cheese.
- 5. Beat egg and water; brush over pastry edges. Bring an opposite corner of pastry over the egg mixture; pinch seams to seal. With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top.
- 6. Transfer to a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with remaining hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with tarragon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pastry with 5 teaspoons sauce equals 1,204 calories, 84 g fat (34 g saturated fat), 601 mg cholesterol, 1,790 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 41 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC