- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Minced fresh tarragon, optional
- In a double boiler over simmering water or a small heavy saucepan, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard until mixture begins to thicken and reaches 160°.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in cayenne. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ham and onions in butter until onions are tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until set. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup reserved hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll each sheet into a 12x9-1/2-in. rectangle; cut each in half widthwise. Place 1 cup egg mixture on half of each rectangle; sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat egg and water; brush over pastry edges. Fold pastry over egg mixture; pinch seams to seal. With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top. Repeat with remaining dough rectangles.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into triangles; serve with remaining hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with tarragon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBenedict Eggs in Pastry
"Delicious!!!! Huge pastry...if you are worried about calories then cut the serving size in half! Will definitely make this again!"
"If people think this is so bad to eat...why are they looking at the recipe? They have an agenda, and are just being a food nazi that feels they have to tell you what to do and eat. Ignore them. Taste of Home...please do not let this happen anymore."
"This recipe is so awsomely good ! To those who want to knock on the calories, go to Weight Watchers site ! Obviously your looking for a boiled egg & dry toast recipe. If your a calorie counter & don't plan on making this , then why bother commenting negatively ? TOH has such great recipes , so you nay sayers go to the lighter side. Thanks TOH FOR A GREAT SITE !"
"Really really yummy. But I certainly won't be making it very often with it being so unhealthy- maybe this could be a candidate for a TOH makeover!!!"
"looks good but the calories are through the roof,will find a way to lighten that up."
"Are you kidding me - 1204 calories PER SERVING??? That's a few hundred calories away from being your Daily Caloric intake. A more reasonable amount may be to say this recipe serves 8 and that still is too high. Terrible, will DEFINITELY find ways to lighten this up."
"Really! Really! Great as written. Nice clear directions. Thabks!"
"For those of you that have made this, would Crescent Rolls pastry work in place of the frozen puff pastry? If so, one or two tubes? Sounds so good."