Ben's English Toffee Recipe
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- 1. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
1 ounce-weight: 171 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Ben's English Toffee
"Never mind... Thanks for sharing!"
"Looks easy and yummy but when does the rum extract go in?"