Ben's English Toffee
I have been cooking since I have been very young. I love to prepare desserts and my favorite is candy. This recipe is one I made when I was twelve years old.Ben Lohse, Worcester, Pennsylvania
28 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in
- cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a
- candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the
- heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at
- room temperature until cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over
- toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break
- into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 ounce equals 171 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.