Ben's English Toffee Recipe
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- 1. Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
1 ounce-weight: 171 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Ben's English Toffee
"Never mind... Thanks for sharing!"
"Looks easy and yummy but when does the rum extract go in?"