I have been cooking since I have been very young. I love to prepare desserts and my favorite is candy. This recipe is one I made when I was twelve years old.—Ben Lohse, Worcester, Pennsylvania
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped and toasted
- Grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar and cream of tartar; stir in cream and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Quickly pour into prepared pan. Let stand at room temperature until cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread over toffee. Sprinkle with nuts. Let stand until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Originally published as Ben's English Toffee in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p74
Reviews for Ben's English Toffee
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review