Bell Pepper Muffins
Featuring three types of peppers and a hint of basil, these tender muffins are perfect with chicken. I trimmed down the original recipe to make them low in fat and cholesterol. -Karen Shipp of San Antonio, Texas
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup each chopped green pepper, sweet yellow pepper and sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- In a nonstick skillet, saute peppers in butter until tender; set
- aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder,
- salt and basil. Whisk the egg, egg substitute and milk; stir into
- dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the peppers.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill two-thirds full with
- batter. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before
- removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 119 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 228 mg sodium,