Beet Spinach Salad Recipe
My husband and I like this salad's fresh taste and the fact that it uses beets, spinach, mint and onion, all of which we grow in our large garden.—Marguerite Shaeffer, Sewell, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:4 servings
- 2 large fresh beets
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh mint
- 4 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 medium navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1. Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool; peel and cut into 1/4-in. strips.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar and mustard until blended; gradually whisk in oil. Add the sugar, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the beets, onions, mint and 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, orange sections, beet mixture and remaining vinaigrette; toss. Top with raspberries. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 174 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC