Beet Salad Recipe
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced or julienned beets
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) lemon gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- Lettuce leaves, mayonnaise and sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, optional
- 1. Drain beets, reserving liquid in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. Set beets aside. Place beet juice mixture in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add the cold water, onion, horseradish, vinegar and salt. Chill until partially set.
- 2. Stir in the celery, olives and reserved beets. Pour into an 8-in. square dish. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. Cut salad into squares. If desired, serve on a lettuce-lined plate and top with a dollop of mayonnaise and an olive. Yield: 9-12 servings.
1 piece: 47 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein .
Reviews for Beet Salad
"Soooo glad to find recipe for beet salad using gelatin. Very easy to make. I only had sliced canned beets, so diced 'em. Not horseradish fan, used bit extra celery."
"Delicious! Refreshing! Beautiful! My family and friends all loved it. We have a new family favorite, and my next pot-luck contribution."