- 1 pound fresh beets
- 6 cups torn Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 3 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups torn curly endive
- 2 cups watercress
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Place beets in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Cool; peel and julienne.
- In a serving bowl, combine the lettuce, oranges, endive and watercress. Add beets and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, orange juice, vinegar, onion, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad; toss gently to coat. Yield: 12 servings (about 1 cup dressing).
Originally published as Beet Salad with Orange-Walnut Dressing in Country December/January 2010, p49
Reviews for Beet Salad with Orange-Walnut Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 28, 2012
"This is wonderful! It makes a very colorful, sophisticated salad. All the prep work can be done ahead of time, then mix when ready to serve."