Beet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette Recipe
Here's a lovely salad to celebrate the changing seasons. The flavors of fresh roasted beets, sweet citrus, rich cheese and tangy vinaigrette were meant for each other. —Mary S. Moskovitz, Ventnor, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 fresh beets (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1/4 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1. For vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk the first eight ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Place beets in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add 1 in. of water. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Cool; peel and cut into thin slices.
- 3. Just before serving, arrange watercress on a platter or individual plates; top with beets. Sprinkle with walnuts and cheese; whisk vinaigrette and drizzle over salad. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 68 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC