- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and 1/4 cup butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream the remaining butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, beets and vanilla.
- Beat into creamed mixture (mixture will appear separated). Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 375° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Beet Cake
"I added orange zest into it and it tasted great! Very moist and yummy. No one noticed the beets"
"Surprisingly good, fluffy and moist. There is a faint beet taste, which I wasn't expecting. I was thinking it was more like desserts that use zucchini which adds moisture but not the vegetable flavor. It served it's purpose to get rid of extra beets I had."
"Great way to use extra beets! Delicious, moist cake, not too much beet flavor while eating, but there is a beet aftertaste."
"I'm curious if canned/jarred beets would work just as well??"
"Even my kids happily eat beets when prepared this way! Very moist and delicious."
"I'm curious as to why there are strawberries, not beets, in the picture? :)"