"My mother used to make this hearty soup from her garden's bountiful crop of beets and other vegetables," relates field editor Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 cups shredded fresh beets
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sour cream, optional
- In a saucepan, bring the beets, carrots, onion, water and salt to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add broth,
- cabbage and butter; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Just before
- serving, stir in lemon juice. Top each serving with a dollop of sour
- cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 48 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 375 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.