Beet and Sweet Potato Fries
Oven-baked root vegetables put a colorful and flavorful twist on traditional French fries and add interest to a meal as a side dish. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon green peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 large fresh beets (about 1 pound)
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, peppercorns and 1/4 teaspoon
- ground pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Peel and cut sweet potato in half widthwise; cut each half into
- 1/2-in. strips. Place in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4
- teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat. Spread onto a
- parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Peel and cut beets in half; cut into 1/2-in. strips. Transfer to the
- same bowl; add the remaining oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Spread onto another parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake vegetables, uncovered, at 425° for 20-30 minutes or until
- tender, turning once. Serve with peppercorn mayonnaise. Yield: 5
- servings (1/2 cup sauce).