Really, it's simple arithmetic…or something like that: Beer is good. Banana bread is good. Beernana bread is great! Even guys who don't know their way around the kitchen can pull this one off. —Steve Cayford, Dubuque, Iowa
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) wheat beer
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, mix flour, oats and brown
- sugar. In another bowl, mix bananas, beer and maple syrup until
- blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle
- with sesame seeds and salt. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before
- removing to wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 173 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.