- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup amber beer
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in the milk, beer and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese, fontina cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese until melted. Add chives.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Top with crumbled bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Beer Macaroni & Cheese(11)
Sort By :
Very good and I DON'T like beer!
This is my new favorite Mac and cheese recipe. It's like other homemade versions only with a more unique flavor.
This is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever eaten. Very easy to make. I will definitely make this again!
Very tasty hint of beer is wonderful
I made this for the first time tonight, and this is by far my favorite macaroni and cheese, what?s not to love about beer and bacon! After mixing cheese over the stove-top I typically have a sink full of what my husband calls ?Super Soakers?. The order everything gets mixed in kept most of the cheese from being caked onto the side walls of the pans-which is always a plus!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Pasta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Macaroni and Cheese >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dish Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >