Beer Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup amber beer
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in the milk, beer and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat. Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese, fontina cheese and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese until melted. Add chives.
- 4. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Top with crumbled bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving equals 420 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Beer Macaroni & Cheese
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.