Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in the soup, beer, milk, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and paprika. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Heat through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Beer Cheese Soup
Sort By :
"This is one recipe that I can guarantee I will never make again. I followed the recipe as written, using low sodium soup and 2% milk Velveeta. It was very thick and the cheese was incredibly overpowering. No hint of beer flavor. There was also a weird aftertaste that I am not sure how to describe...almost cinnamon-y. My husband will typically eat just about anything, even if I dislike the flavor, but this is one of a very few recipes in our 16 year marriage that he actually suggested throwing out. I guess that's what I get for using processed junk instead of taking the time to make it right."
"I have made this soup. You can cut down on the sodium by using only soups which are labeled "heart healthy." I added one can Campbell's cheddar cheese soup, which is "Heart Healthy." Substituted half & half for milk. Used 1 lb extra sharp Cheddar which I shredded into the soup...NO VELVEETA! Added grated parmasean and one bottle DARK beer. Also added 8 oz container WHIPPED cream cheese for added flavor, texture. Delicious!"
"Sounds great tasting but using canned soup puts in too much sodium."
"@ bethshiels. I could give you the recipe for the ultimate beer and cheddar soup but I think not. You would only whine over the time required to produce it. Your choice of beer, to the largest degree, is irrevelant. The choice of cheese makes the difference. It's called real cheese, NOT processed crap. If I want chiz whiz I'll buy a jar."
"Yummy! I hit it with the stick blender before adding the cheese (husband not a fan of celery but what he doesn't know...), this really makes quite a bit of soup so for the two of us I'll halve the recipe next time. Thanks for sharing this one!"