- 1 round loaf (1 pound) pumpernickel bread
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- Cut top fourth off loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread; set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine cheese spread and cream cheese. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in beer. Microwave, uncovered, 20 seconds longer. Stir in bacon.
- Fill bread shell with cheese dip. Serve with reserved bread cubes. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Beer Cheese in a Bread Bowl
"A hit with the guys! Love that there very few dishes! Easy to keep most of the stuff on hand. Of course, I have a teenage boy so we had to up the bacon"
"What a great new twist on the sourdough bread bowl - I did add some onion to the mix before cooking - but it was awesome and a lot of good comments because of the bread"
"Only needs 1 jar of cheese as it was too strong tasting."
"Didn't have bacon. Added ground red pepper (1/8 tsp) and garlic powder (1/4 tsp)."
"This was deeelicious! I added a little minced garlic and fried my own bacon. The beer really gives it a wonderful flavor. Will definitely make again."
"Very easy to make, good flavor, went over really well at Super Bowl party - especially with the guys who liked the "beer" appeal!"
"I think this is the recipe that was such a hit when I made it before. I usually can't stand fake cheese, but in this recipe, it works. My only complaint is that the jarred cheese called for is a tad bit pricey, so I can't make it very often. Still, I would definitely make it again!"
"Reviews are written after the recipe has been tested. If a category is noted, the recipe should conform to that category and should be considered when reviewing. This recipe says it is "Quick" and yes it is that. It is also very flavorful. I loved it and will make it again when we have Football Parties"
"People it isn't like you are going to pick up the bread bowl and drink the beer cheese! Get a life! I put cut off the top of the bread to make a bowl and pull out some from the bottome - but cutting up another loaf of bread gives enough cubes to use for a party ! I never bring any of this home - goes like crazy at super bowl parties!"