- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly crisp, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Toss cheese and flour; stir into saucepan until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream.
- Transfer to a small fondue pot or 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Keep warm; add additional cream if fondue thickens. Serve with toasted bread cubes. Yield: about 3 cups.
Reviews forBeer Cheese Fondue
"Thumbs up! We do fondue for New Years eve, but since several family members are not crazy about traditional cheese fondue, we tried this recipe. This was a hit with everyone and I thought it stayed smoother than other fondues I have made. I wasn't sure what kind of cheddar to use, so ended up using Boar's head Vermont Cheddar and I was very happy with it. We served it with toasted rye and french bread, lightly roasted mini peppers and mushrooms and broccoli."
"Very yummy and easy to make. Have made it a few times and always a hit"
"Very tastey!!! Stuck with a mild cheddar so you can taste the beer!! :) good crowd pleaser!"
"It took me awhile to get the temperature right for the fondue pot, but once that was done, this was a great hit! I warmed the bread for a few minutes, and then finished it when my guests arrived. Being warm made a big difference. When you are from Wisconsin, what better ingredients can you ask for..BEER AND CHEESE!!"
"This is the best fondue I have made. I am not a fan of the traditional swiss fondue, so this one was great for us. Kids loved it too, this is a keeper! Thanks for the great recipe, it's fast and easy!"
"Yummy! Worked great in our fondue pot.~ Theresa"
"Add some fresh ground pepper and I had a recipe from our favorite fondue place!"
"I'm trying to give this recipe 5 stars, and there is something wrong, it won't let me go past 3. This recipe is great. We love it!"
"This is a game day favorite! Very easy and delicious!"