- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly crisp, stirring twice.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Toss cheese and flour; stir into saucepan until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons cream.
- Transfer to a small fondue pot or 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. Keep warm; add additional cream if fondue thickens. Serve with toasted bread cubes. Yield: about 3 cups.
Reviews for Beer Cheese Fondue
"Very yummy and easy to make. Have made it a few times and always a hit"
"Very tastey!!! Stuck with a mild cheddar so you can taste the beer!! :) good crowd pleaser!"
"It took me awhile to get the temperature right for the fondue pot, but once that was done, this was a great hit! I warmed the bread for a few minutes, and then finished it when my guests arrived. Being warm made a big difference. When you are from Wisconsin, what better ingredients can you ask for..BEER AND CHEESE!!"
"This is the best fondue I have made. I am not a fan of the traditional swiss fondue, so this one was great for us. Kids loved it too, this is a keeper! Thanks for the great recipe, it's fast and easy!"
"I have made this twice already. Once at Christmas and for the super bowl. I served it with bread, green apples and carrots!"
"Yummy! Worked great in our fondue pot.~ Theresa"
"Add some fresh ground pepper and I had a recipe from our favorite fondue place!"
"I'm trying to give this recipe 5 stars, and there is something wrong, it won't let me go past 3. This recipe is great. We love it!"
"This is a game day favorite! Very easy and delicious!"
"I used 2 cups cheddar 1 cup gruyere cheese, and 1 cup gouda, had a hard time melting the gouda but great taste!"