Beer Can Chicken Recipe
- 4 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gently loosen skin from the chicken. Brush chicken with oil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of spice mixture into cavity. Rub the remaining spice mixture over and under the skin. Place lemon slices in neck cavity. Tuck wing tips behind the back.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out half of the beer, reserving for another use. Poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- 3. Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 4 servings.
7 ounces cooked chicken equals 415 calories, 25 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 366 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Beer Can Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.