Beer Can Chicken Recipe
This is a stand-up chicken that you'll be proud to serve at any family gathering. Treated to a savory rub, then roasted over a beer can for added moisture, it's so tasty you'll want to call dibs on the leftovers now! —Shirley Warren, Thiensville, Wisconsin
- 4 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Gently loosen skin from the chicken. Brush chicken with oil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of spice mixture into cavity. Rub the remaining spice mixture over and under the skin. Place lemon slices in neck cavity. Tuck wing tips behind the back.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out half of the beer, reserving for another use. Poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beer Can Chicken in Simple & Delicious June/July 2012, p60
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Beer Can Chicken(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- BBQ Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Father's Day Dinners >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grilled Chicken Recipes >
- Grilling Recipes >
- July 4th Dinner >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Main Dishes >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >