Beer-Braised Beef Recipe
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, discarding drippings. Sprinkle beef with pepper and salt. In the same skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the bacon, onion, garlic and bay leaf. In a small bowl, combine the beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Pour over beef mixture.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve beef with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup (calculated without noodles) equals 246 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.