- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and caraway seeds. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, beer and oil to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 14 equal portions; roll each into a 20-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with eggs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Brush again with eggs; sprinkle with Gouda and coarse salt. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 14 pretzels.
Reviews for Beer 'n' Gouda Pretzels(6)
Sort By :
These were okay. I make pretzels quite often and these weren't chewy enough and the cheese didn't do it for me.
Just a note on vieux's comment. When you are mixing the yeast into the dry ingredients and then adding the warm liquid to it, the temperature drops severely, so you need a higher temp to insure that it stays warm enough to activate the yeast. I always use 125-130*. If you were adding the yeast directly to the liquid first, you definitely would not go over 120*.
I was hopping it would be a little more soft.
When I saw this recipe, I couldn't wait to try making them. I could not taste beer in the recipe but the cheese and caraway were a great combo. Delish!
This recipe is very good my fiance liked them as well. I added 1/2 of the gouda cheese in with the dough as I was kneading it. Then sprinkled on at end as well. A Little on the salty side, due to the cheese but that's how pretzels are to be right? The caraway made it outstanding with flavor. An excellent item for a football game for the guys.
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cocktail Party Appetizers >
- Father's Day Appetizers >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- German Appetizers >
- German Bread Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Holiday Finger Foods >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >