Beer & Cheddar Fondue
This great-tasting fondue is my mom's favorite, so I make it for her birthday every year. I like to serve it with apple slices, rye bread cubes and chunks of carrots, mushrooms, celery, zucchini, squash and broccoli. —Amanda Wentz, Virginia Beach, Virginia
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Pretzel dipping sticks and sliced smoked sausage
- In a large bowl, combine cheese and flour. In a small saucepan, heat
- the beer, garlic, mustard and pepper over medium heat until bubbles
- form around sides of pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; add a handful of cheese mixture. Stir
- constantly, using a figure-eight motion, until almost completely
- melted. Continue adding cheese, one handful at a time, allowing
- cheese to almost completely melt between additions. Keep warm. Serve
- with pretzels and sausage. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup fondue (calculated without pretzels and sausage) equals 221 calories, 16 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 341 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 12 g protein.