Beehive Cake Recipe
Guests at my fun Bee Tea thought this cake was so cute! To make the hive's different-sized cake layers, I just searched through my kitchen drawers and cabinets and found containers I had on hand to bake the tiers. Honey adds character to the spice cake's flavor. -Sheila Bradshaw, Columbus, Ohio
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- 9 to 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 chocolate wafer (2-1/2 inches)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, honey and oil on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for two minutes. Grease and flour a 6-oz. and a 10-oz. custard cup and a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish.
- 2. Pour 1/3 cup batter into the 6-oz. cup, 1 cup batter into the 10-oz. cup and the remaining batter into the baking dish.
- 3. Bake the small cake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, the medium cake for 40-45 minutes and the large cake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from dishes to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat frosting and food coloring until smooth. Place large cake on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Top with medium cake; frost. Top with small cake; frost top and sides of entire cake.
- 5. Using a wooden spoon and beginning at bottom of cake, make circles in frosting around cake to form the beehive. Position chocolate wafer at the base for the entrance. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 piece: 467 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 426mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Beehive Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC