Beefy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 12 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 12 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 12 cups frozen peas
- 12 cups frozen lima beans
- 9 cups frozen cut green beans
- 9 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 package (16 ounces) small pasta shells
- 4 quarts tomato sauce
- 2 cans (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 10 pounds ground turkey
- 4 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1. In several large stockpots, combine the first seven ingredients. Add water to cover. Add tomato sauce and broth.
- 2. In several other large stockpots, cook the beef, turkey and onions until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add to vegetable mixture. Stir in salt, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until celery is tender. Yield: 120 (1-cup) servings.
1 cup: 154 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Beefy Vegetable Soup
"This is one of our favorite soups. I did pare it down for the two of us with a little left over. Delicious warmed up the next day. I substituted lean ground beef for the ground turkey. I recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor."