Since my husband loves to garden, I often fix this entree at the end of summer using tomatoes right out of our backyard. It's also a nice treat in the middle of winter.
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core. Carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Reserve 1 cup pulp (discard remaining pulp or save for another use). Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the basil, salt, pepper and reserved tomato pulp; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, cheese and egg; heat through. Spoon into tomato shells.
- Place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Tomatoes in Light & Tasty June/July 2001 , p27
Reviews for Beefy Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2011
"This was a great dish, that my family loved. The only problem I had was that we had extra of the filling, so I would suggest using a few extra tomatoes, I'm thinking 3 would do."