Since my husband loves to garden, I often fix this entree at the end of summer using tomatoes right out of our backyard. It's also a nice treat in the middle of winter.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and discard; remove core. Carefully scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Reserve 1 cup pulp (discard remaining pulp or save for another use). Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the basil, salt, pepper and reserved tomato pulp; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, cheese and egg; heat through. Spoon into tomato shells.
- Place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Tomatoes in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p27
Reviews forBeefy Tomatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 28, 2011
"This was a great dish, that my family loved. The only problem I had was that we had extra of the filling, so I would suggest using a few extra tomatoes, I'm thinking 3 would do."