Beefy Tomato Soup
Ground beef and macaroni add heartiness to this soup sent in by Patricia Staudt of Marble Rock, Iowa. It's nicely seasoned...and nicely priced, too, at 37 cents per bowl.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Editor's Note: The cost per serving does not include optional ingredients such as garnishes. When there is a choice of two ingredients, the cost is figured with the first one listed.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with lean ground beef, reduced-sodium tomato juice and reduced-sodium onion soup mix) equals 176 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch.