I enjoy trying new, uncomplicated dishes, and when I find a winner like this, I'm eager to share the recipe. I round out the meal with steamed buttered carrots and oven-fresh rolls.—Priscilla Gilbert, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Recommended: 35 Easy Dinners to Try This Winter
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4-3/4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk
- SPINACH LAYER:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup crushed french-fried onions
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine soup and milk until blended. Stir in beef mixture and noodles; set aside.
- For spinach layer, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, paprika, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and green onions.
- In a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the beef mixture and half of the cheese. Top with spinach mixture and remaining beef mixture. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Top with french-fried onions. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Spinach Noodle Bake in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p55
Reviews forBeefy Spinach Noodle Bake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 6, 2010
"Made recipe as i except increased the ground beef to 2 lbs as '1 lb' seemed a very minimal amount in comparison to the amount of egg noodles. Turned out great!!"