Beefy Spanish Rice
This recipe can be altered to fit any taste by adjusting how spicy and saucy you make it. On occasion, I like using ground turkey in place of the beef-or adding leftover spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato paste.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- French bread
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, green pepper and
- garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next eight
- ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20
- minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir in tomato paste and cook
- until heated through. Serve with French bread. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 273 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 576 mg sodium,