This recipe can be altered to fit any taste by adjusting how spicy and saucy you make it. On occasion, I like using ground turkey in place of the beef-or adding leftover spaghetti sauce instead of the tomato paste.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- French bread
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Stir in tomato paste and cook until heated through. Serve with French bread. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Spanish Rice in Country Woman January/February 1995, p37
Reviews for Beefy Spanish Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review