Beefy Shells and Cheese
Louise Graybiel, of Toronto, Ontario writes of her Beefy Shells and Cheese, “Boxed macaroni and cheese, store-bought salsa and canned beans make this kid-pleaser a snap to fix!” For a bonus, Louise likes to add shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese to the dish for extra-cheesy fun!
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 package (12 ounces) shells and cheese dinner mix
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Set aside cheese sauce packet from dinner mix. Add shells and
- water to skillet. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 10-12
- minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, chili powder, salt and contents of cheese
- sauce packet. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5
- minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 393 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 910 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein.