Beefy Shells and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (12 ounces) shells and cheese dinner mix
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set aside cheese sauce packet from dinner mix. Add shells and water to skillet. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 2. Stir in the salsa, beans, chili powder, salt and contents of cheese sauce packet. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 393 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Beefy Shells and Cheese
"This was a quick simple meal for a night I am in a rush."
"easy to prepare and very tasty. A big hit with my family"
"This was easy to prepare and tasted great!"
"Absolutely delicious! I love the black bean addition and thought the leftovers reheated beautifully."
"This is one of our favorites. I agree with a previous reviewer about skipping the salt. I forgot it once, didn't miss it and haven't added it since."
"This was great! The whole family loved it! The only thing I didn't like about it is that it didn't make for very good leftovers. So try not to make too much at one time!"
"Didn't have the boxed stuff. But I did have elbows and velvetta. One said "Ummmm", one picked out the beans, hubby said he would prefer it without the beans. I also added spices to my families taste. Garlic powder, cumin & nature season. I will make again."
"We too liked this recipe. A great twist to the old standby of mac and cheese."
"This has become one of our family's entree standbys. The leftovers are just as good! I've used chili beans in place of the black beans. We love the black beans but I don't always have them on hand."
"left out the beans-and im always skeptical of cooking with salsa as it usually doesnt turn out to my liking but this is good!"
"Wonderful! Whole family loved it. Seven year old son asked to have it every night. Thanks!"