- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups Italian tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In another large bowl, combine the rice, cheese and remaining tomato sauce. Pour over meat mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until rice is tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Rice Squares in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p70
Reviews for Beefy Rice Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 30, 2013
"When my toddlers clean their plate, I know it's an excellent recipe! ;-)"