Beefy Red Pepper Pasta Recipe
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Place peppers in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pepper puree, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cook until pasta and green beans are tender; drain. Stir in meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheese; stir until melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 362 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 739 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.