Beefy Mushroom Meatballs Recipe
Among my memories of a reunion held on my farm are these savory meatballs a family member made. That's where I got this recipe that I now make for potlucks and get-togethers. It's so handy to transport and keep warm in a slow cooker, and it makes a great appetizer, too.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 slices bread, torn
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef consomme
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles, optional
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large bowl, combine bread and milk. Add the egg, onion, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in small batches over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add consomme. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the mushrooms, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles if desired. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC