Beefy Kraut and Rice
From Sioux City, Iowa, Kristi Baker shares this simple supper. "My husband and I are both police officers, and after a long workday, I rely on meals that come together easily," she explains. "This hearty hot dish is easy to make and has a tangy twist that even our kids enjoy."
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope beefy mushroom soup mix
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. In a bowl, combine the beef, sauerkraut, water, soup, rice
- and soup mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350°
- for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with Swiss
- cheese if desired. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 330 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,150 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.