From Sioux City, Iowa, Kristi Baker shares this simple supper. "My husband and I are both police officers, and after a long workday, I rely on meals that come together easily," she explains. "This hearty hot dish is easy to make and has a tangy twist that even our kids enjoy."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope beefy mushroom soup mix
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a bowl, combine the beef, sauerkraut, water, soup, rice and soup mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese if desired. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Kraut and Rice in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p41
Reviews for Beefy Kraut and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2011
"The flavor was good but it took a lot longer to cook. I have had it in the oven for 60 min. and it still isn't done. waiting for another 30min."