From Sioux City, Iowa, Kristi Baker shares this simple supper. "My husband and I are both police officers, and after a long workday, I rely on meals that come together easily," she explains. "This hearty hot dish is easy to make and has a tangy twist that even our kids enjoy."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope beefy mushroom soup mix
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a bowl, combine the beef, sauerkraut, water, soup, rice and soup mix.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese if desired. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Kraut and Rice in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p41
Reviews for Beefy Kraut and Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2011
"The flavor was good but it took a lot longer to cook. I have had it in the oven for 60 min. and it still isn't done. waiting for another 30min."