Beefy Jalapeno Corn Bake Recipe
You'll want a fork to dig into hearty squares of this beefed-up corn bread from James Coleman, Charlotte, North Carolina. Chock-full of ground beef, corn, cheese and jalapeno peppers, It's so filling, it can be served as an entree.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, corn, milk and oil. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- 2. Pour half of the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 cups cheese; top with the beef, onion and jalapenos. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into corn bread topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 390 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC