Beefy Hash Brown Bake Recipe
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, oil and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are thawed and set.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, gravy mix and garlic salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add vegetables; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the onions and cheese.
- 3. Pour over potatoes. Bake for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 682 calories, 43g fat (16g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 1201mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Beefy Hash Brown Bake
"A HUGE hit with my family!! I did have to improvise a little with what I had available. Use frozen Potatoes O'Brien in place of hash browns and just broccoli for the mixed vegetables. Such a versatile dish - a modified shepherd's pie of sorts - but just fabulous! Esp when the family goes back for seconds and thirds!! Definitely a keeper!"
"This recipe has been a "thumbs up" family favorite standby for years. We lovingly call it the Cardiac casserole. I always double (and sometimes triple) the recipe so that the family has left overs for lunches to take to work. Its a thrifty meal and the individual servings also freeze well."