Beefy Hash Brown Bake Recipe
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, oil and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are thawed and set.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, gravy mix and garlic salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add vegetables; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the onions and cheese.
- 3. Pour over potatoes. Bake for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 682 calories, 43 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 1,201 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 35 g protein.
Reviews for Beefy Hash Brown Bake
"A HUGE hit with my family!! I did have to improvise a little with what I had available. Use frozen Potatoes O'Brien in place of hash browns and just broccoli for the mixed vegetables. Such a versatile dish - a modified shepherd's pie of sorts - but just fabulous! Esp when the family goes back for seconds and thirds!! Definitely a keeper!"
"This recipe has been a "thumbs up" family favorite standby for years. We lovingly call it the Cardiac Casserole. I always double (and sometimes triple) the recipe so that the family has left overs for lunches to take to work. Its a thrifty meal and the individual servings also freeze well."