A topping of french-fried onions provides a little crunch to this meaty main dish from Rochelle Boucher of Brooklyn, Wisconsin. "Since this casserole is practically a meal in itself, I simply accompany it with a fruit salad and dessert," she relates.
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, oil and pepper. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are thawed and set.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, gravy mix and garlic salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add vegetables; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in half of the onions and cheese.
- Pour over potatoes. Bake for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Hash Brown Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p43
Reviews for Beefy Hash Brown Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review