- 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain and set aside. In a shallow dish, combine flour and remaining
- salt and pepper. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish. Dip
- eggplant in buttermilk, then in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in 1/2 in. of hot oil
- until golden brown on each side; drain.
- Place half of eggplant in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top
- with half of Parmesan cheese, beef and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining eggplant, Parmesan
- cheese, beef and tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes
- longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before
- serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 307 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 846 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.