- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Additional canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, celery and garlic powder in oil until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a shallow dish, combine flour and remaining salt and pepper. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish. Dip eggplant in buttermilk, then in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant in batches in 1/2 in. of hot oil until golden brown on each side; drain.
- Place half of eggplant in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of Parmesan cheese, beef and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining eggplant, Parmesan cheese, beef and tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beefy Eggplant Parmigiana
Sort By :
"My husband was leary at first when I mentioned I was going to make this. That changed the second he took his first bite and he ended up absolutely loving it! I had to use a jar sauce due to time constraints but it was an amazing meal regardless. This is definitely one of our favorite recipes from Taste of Home since we began trying them all."
"Prepared for my family tonight. In fairness to the submitter, it smells wonderful and will probably taste great. However, don't plan on making this one unless you have at least 2 hours to spare. If I like it, I may make it for special occasions. But, for my family and schedule, it just takes too long to make. Also didn't like the fact that you fry the eggplant in so much oil. If anyone has a less fat way of doing it (without it sticking to the pan), please comment."
"YUMMY!!! I love eggplant!!! Thanks for sharing"