Beefy Dog Treats Recipe
These healthy, meat-flavored biscuits make perfect “pet” gifts. Don’t forget to leave a few for Santa’s reindeer, too!—Lori Kimble, Mascoutah, Illinois
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 jar (4 ounces) vegetable beef dinner baby food
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, milk powder, wheat flour, rice and gelatin. Stir in the baby food, egg, oil, yeast mixture and bouillon mixture until combined; knead until mixture forms a ball.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 18-25 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Let stand for 24 hours or until hardened. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 66 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC