- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 jar (4 ounces) vegetable beef dinner baby food
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, milk powder, wheat flour, rice and gelatin. Stir in the baby food, egg, oil, yeast mixture and bouillon mixture until combined; knead until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 18-25 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Let stand for 24 hours or until hardened. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Beefy Dog Treats(6)
Sort By :
I couldn't find beef and veggie baby food so I went with chicken and veggie and switched the bouillon to chicken. I gave it a 4 star as the mixture was to dry and I felt that it was missing some more water. Dog seem to love it so I might try it again now that I know to add water yet I have found other receipts that seem easier
I make these for my dogs all the time! They are very sensitive and scratch all the time from other treats. They love these and don't scratch at all! Sometimes I add peanut butter.
I have been making these treats since Dec. 2007 and all 8 Pups, in the family love these! (even the picky eaters). I recently moved and haven't been able to locate this issue, so thank you TOH for keeping this recipe in your file!!
We have 11 dogs and I made these dog treats for them for Christmas and they loved them. I have given some to my friends' dogs along with the recipe and I am sure that my friends will be making them also.
My Schnauzers love these treats! Have made these twice and will definitely make again. Even my sister's picky Lab ate them.