Beefy Corn Bread Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the cheese and all of the beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Carefully spread remaining batter over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-12 servings.
Reviews for Beefy Corn Bread Casserole(4)
Sort By :
LOVE this recipe! I sought this out to replace an old recipe I lost a few years ago, very similar in concept. The cornbread in this one is even more delicous than the old recipe so I'm actually happy I lost that one! One thing I carried over from the old recipe, however, is adding about 1/2 cup of salsa to the meat mixture - this makes it especially moist and flavorful and doesn't interfere with the cornbread rising at all.
Cheesy and meaty with a little bit of zing. Wonderful to eat on a cold night! Great comfort casserole!
One of the best recipes around! I have made it dozens of times. Instead of the ground beef mixture, if I have leftover chili, I'll use that. I have used all types of leftovers for the ground beef mixture and no matter what I use, this casserole is always the best. Also, to reduce calories a little, I use 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup of oil instead of 1/2 cup oil. Doesn't seem to make any difference in the taste or consistency. This is definitely a 10 star recipe!!
I made this the other night and it was awesome. I couldn't find a 13*9 in pan so I had to cook it longer but it was worth it!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Cornbread Casserole >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >