- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the corn bread mix, salt, baking soda, corn, milk, oil and eggs.
- Pour half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the cheese and all of the beef mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Carefully spread remaining batter over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-12 servings.
Reviews for Beefy Corn Bread Casserole
"Delicious and Easy to make! I increased the jalapenos a bit, and we also served it with salsa spooned over the top. Will enjoy the leftovers and will make again! I think it would also be a good appetizer if cut into bite sized pieces."
"LOVE this recipe! I sought this out to replace an old recipe I lost a few years ago, very similar in concept. The cornbread in this one is even more delicous than the old recipe so I'm actually happy I lost that one! One thing I carried over from the old recipe, however, is adding about 1/2 cup of salsa to the meat mixture - this makes it especially moist and flavorful and doesn't interfere with the cornbread rising at all."
"I made this the other night and it was awesome. I couldn't find a 13*9 in pan so I had to cook it longer but it was worth it!!!"