Beefy Chili Manicotti
In Fall River Mills, California, Mary Vega jazzes up a can of beef chili to create a sauce for cheese-filled manicotti. "I first made this zesty dish when I got married," she explains. "It tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen, but it's really fast and easy.
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 manicotti shells
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded American cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- Cook manicotti shells in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and set
- aside. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until
- tender. Stir in the chili. Pour half of the chili mixture into a
- greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup American cheese
- and chilies. Spoon into manicotti shells. Place over chili mixture.
- Top with remaining chili mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 35
- minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes
- longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 627 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 173 mg cholesterol, 1,774 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 38 g protein.